Intro

Exploring life's adventures through words - every day has a different flavor. What's in store for today? I have to dip my hand in the jar to find out.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Erin's Chicken Corn Coconut Soup

Delish new recipe I developed, pulling ingredients/processes from several different recipes I found online.  And it's gluten free and dairy free! PLEASE use organic (non-GMO) corn, free-range/organic/soy-free chicken (the more better qualities, the healthier and safer for you), and as many other organic ingredients as you can.

Here's exactly how I made it, but of course it can be done in different ways (cooking directly on the stove for 1-1.5 hrs to serve immediately) depending on the time you have to work with.

Into crock pot:

1.5 t ginger paste
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 c finely chopped yellow onion
3 large raw boneless chicken breasts, diced
1 c frozen corn
6 carrots, scrubbed and sliced (1.5-2 c)
4 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and diced
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
~2 c chicken broth (enough to fill my 4 qt crock pot)
1/2 t salt
1 t pepper (I used white)

Cook on low 6-8 hrs (mine was for 8ish).  Transfer to stock pot on stove on medium heat.  Add:

2+ c frozen corn
~1 c broth
Add more salt/pepper to taste.  

Heat, stirring until simmering, then turn heat down low and simmer for ~30 min.  Cool and refrigerate overnight.  
When ready to serve, add ~1 c chicken broth and return to stove to reheat.  Just before serving, add 1-3 T fresh chopped basil.

Like I said, that was just my process this first time.  I think it tasted better after refrigerating overnight!  Could prob be creamier if you used a can of creamed corn and/or used another can of coconut milk and less chicken broth.  In all, I used a 1 qt carton of chicken broth.

Picture courtesy of Google Images (forgot to take my own) :)


No comments: