Intro

Exploring life's adventures through words - every day has a different flavor. What's in store for today? I have to dip my hand in the jar to find out.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Crock pot experiment

I'm not the kinda girl who necessarily will tear a recipe I want to try out of a magazine.  There would be nothing left of the magazine if I did that.  Also, I couldn't do my R#2 (RRR - Reduce Reuse Recycle) by passing on the magazine to a girlfriend.  Pages of paper shreds barely bound together by a big seam of glue is not very appealing to the next reader.  So instead of tearing out recipes, I like to think that I glean all of the ingenuity from those delectable combinations to influence my own cooking at home.  Don't get me wrong, I love following recipes; I know that what I'm making will turn out correctly!  But so far, that's mostly been for baking.  For cooking meals, I lean more towards inspiration.  Generally, my concoctions turn out pretty darn good.  Plus, my husband Costas will eat anything, so he may not be the toughest critic. :)


So, in the works right now, I've taken several recently gleaned inspirations to make dinner tonight.  As we speak, I have a whole chicken, cleaned and gutted, in a crock pot with some diced onion, a can of cream of chicken soup, salt, white pepper, black pepper, rosemary, and thyme.  Other crock pot recipes I've seen usually direct cooking on high heat for an hour or so then on low heat for about 5 hours.  I've been told crock pot recipes are so easy because you dump everything in and leave it to cook for hours and VOILA you have a meal.  Are these recipes only for the unemployed or stay-at-home parent?  I can't run home at noon to start the crock pot!  Or maybe the recipe writers are assuming I have a time-delayed start version of a crock pot.  


Well, I had to improvise. Since I'm currently a workin' girl, I'm hoping my stretch of about 9-9.5 hours on low heat is not overdoing it.  HAHA!  I'm laughing in curiosity over what might be happening in our kitchen right now; at the same time I'm praying that the soup/juice gravy isn't bubbling out all over the counter as I'm imagining, since the chicken basically occupied every cubic inch of space in our little crock pot.  We may have chicken mush for dinner, but at least it'll taste good!

5 comments:

Dana said...

I liked this post because:
A)It is about cooking
B)It is cleverly written
C)My daughter wrote it
D)It contains no curse words
Please post a crtitique of the outcome:)
<3 U

Tina Klein said...

I agree with Dana. And would like to add there are time delay plug in's. You could use one of them to have a time-delay system.. better yet-- maybe there is something more to the whole time delay crock pot- they have an oven that goes from be a "frig" to cooking your meal and back to a "frig" if we don't get home in time.. now how do we combine those qualities into the crock pot?

Fed Hill Desi's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fed Hill Desi's said...

how did it turn out!?

EEK said...

I am please to report that:
a) the crock pot did not boil over
b) the chicken cooked for 9.5 hrs and then was 'kept warm' for another 2...whoa.
c) the chicken was melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Or is that overcooked?...
d) at any rate, Mr. K was very enthusiastic about the meal and asked 'How'd you make this so fast?' ;)