Intro

Exploring life's adventures through words - every day has a different flavor. What's in store for today? I have to dip my hand in the jar to find out.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sleep in peace - Psalm 4

As much as one may call upon the Lord and ask Him to answer, at the same time one can trust that he is heard. When we ask God the same request over and over, it can feel like we're not getting through, that God's not listening, that our request is not important enough to be granted or even heard by God.

The Lord hears you. Your Father has your worries and desires close to His heart - you are His child and His utmost joy is to love and take care of you. As a child of God, He has you wrapped up in His arms and your struggles matter so much.  Just as a mommy or daddy never wants to see his/her child come to harm or encounter obstacles seemingly too tough to bear, so the Lord feels for you.

Trust in the Lord. His timing is perfect.

I love the verse, "In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent" (Psalm 4:4). At first I paid no attention to the first phrase, because I don't have a problem with anger. I don't get angry, who me? Um, hello. Search my heart? Okay, I am silent now! Yes, I certainly do get angry. The call here is not to not get angry but to not sin in that anger. Self. Control. At first you may think, "Okay, don't get mad and murder someone." That's pretty easy for me to control. But don't get mad and say something disrespectful to my husband in that anger? That probably happens more often than I'd like to admit. When I search my heart, my actions and words for sure likely spark many things that my husband simply holds his tongue or just lets go. So, this verse strikes home.

I also loved 4:8, which says, "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." For me it is rare rare rare rare rare if something should ever be going on that would cause me a sleepless night or take longer than half an hour (more like 90 seconds!) for me to fall asleep at night. Over the years my trust in my Lord has become so deep, I hardly leave anything to worry. I just trust that everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen is part of God's incredibly and intricately woven plan that has mine and your best interests at heart.

No comments: